Sunday, April 3, 2011

Earth and Heat Meet

2020
    “Mommy I’m soooo hot!”
I just imagine my daughter complaining
After just 20 minutes of play time outside
Her cheeks flushed, her energy waning
 
Temperature today:
101 degrees Fahrenheit and its only May!
 
What do I tell my precious baby doll who’s organs sizzle in this heat?
When her skin’s beat red by the sun’s rays, UVA UVB and body meet
 
What do I tell my porcelain skinned girl?
When she asks me if it was this hot when I was little in this world?
 
What do I tell her
When she asks me, “Mommy what is cancer?”
 
Test results back:
I lay in bed weak and wet with tears, broken like an egg that cracked
 
 
“But I covered her from head to toe in that white stuff we call block!!”
I yell through sobs with disbelief in pure and utter shock
 
I never could have thought playtime could be so harsh
Why my young sweet daughter?
I turn this question over and over in my head
As the air outside waits tauntingly getting hotter and hotter

Watching waiting willing-I wake up today
Worried wondering why-the sky looks so grey
Could it be more angry clouds? Condensed and cruel?
Carrying with them rain, the frenetic world’s fuel?
Ignorant Illusion I have!-That haze is not a cloud
Illuminated Intoxicated Inquiring-my realization is loud
If not a cloud than what is it? That hovering thing above?
Swirling mass of grayness that squeezes the sky, tightly like a glove?
Dark Dangerous Dread-is the answer that I have found
Damaging Dirty Daunting-they are gases created from the ground!
Leaking from cars, bikes, houses, surrounding our planet to suffocate.
We feed ourselves pollution, serving it on a daily plate.
Lingering Lurking Lasting-as an infinite circle in the sky
Literally Looping Life-enveloping humanity like a shoe tie
Yum how appetizing! Is it the main course?
This circular cluster of pollution which carries no remorse?
Everlasting Eerie Eternal-this cycle we created chugs along
Ending Everyone’s Ease-from Zimbabwe to Hong Kong
I’m not the only one who wakes up today
With the realization that our blue sky looks so grey
Watching Waiting Willing-we all open our eyes
Worried Wondering Why-as we hop into our rides-there’s no blue left in our skies
You’re Not Dreaming This Should Come As No Surprise!
 
 
 -------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
 
Careless fingers clench the can filled with liquid to the top
After drinking down the tasty brown you stutter then you stop
Look left look right no garbage can in sight
Then you look down to the ground, no ones watching, right?
The drink you drank slips slowly out your hand
Pretending you don’t feel its weight as gravity pulls it to the land
* * *
Pit pit pat the sounds of life emerge
Crackle and a crack then out pops a bird
 
Helpless and wobbling with tilted equilibrium
She looks for her mother but bumps into aluminum
 
Her first sensation of life is not her mother’s breast
Glowing with inner warmth a body that’s feather dressed
 
Dead cold and flat instead the tot feels steal
Lifeless and artificial the manmade and bird congeal
 
She snuggles up to the tin can who like the Tin Man has no heart
No constant tone no beating drone just a coke purchased from Wal-Mart

No comments:

Post a Comment